Hoodia Gordonii: Benefits, Uses, Effects?
Hoodia gordonii is one of the many counter slimming periodically return to prominence on national television costly means. All of these products make a fleeting appearance and then return to oblivion; then, after a bit 'of time are repeated with other indications or "enhanced formulations." The most classic example that sell ineffective products do not work, even if supported by a huge hype. Here are some examples of failed attempts at "slimming"
hoodiaPer be able to remain in the market must be produced without serious contraindications (over the counter, of course, so nothing amphetamine, phentermine and similar type); it was therefore necessary to propose new products, such as to generate the customer to turn the question:
is new, maybe it works!
If you do not have any side effects, what it costs me to prove it?
Subtle marketing strategy that caters to people with poor critical thinking and who are not afraid to insult their brains trying to take shortcuts impossible.
Let us analyze in more detail the product in question.
The Hoodia Gordonii is a cactus of the family of South African Asclepiads cultivated by the tribe of the San (Bushmen) who use it (the stem) to inhibit the stimulation of hunger (the active ingredients are the pregnanglicosidi) and face long walks in the desert. All this is very picturesque, although often the description goes into the pathetic as in the U.S. site where it says that the Bushmen use it to fight childhood obesity (in the Third World?).
The mustard-colored powder Hoodia is greenish and the dose ranges from 200 to 400 mg before meals.
The Hoodia gordonii does it work?
The mechanism of operation of Hoodia gordonii would be the following: the active principle (a molecule discovered in 1996 and named P57) of Hoodia would send a message to the brain of satiety soon exceeded a certain amount of calories. In essence mimerebbe the action of glucose. The action of Hoodia therefore would start after a certain caloric intake, estimated at around 2,200 calories.
If you read carefully the lines soprariportate you understand why it can not work as the Hoodia slimming bench.
1) Its action is not a percentage, but it is a threshold. This means that people who are overweight because it has a low metabolism (how many over 35-40), however, is doomed because it does not reach the threshold where the Hoodia is active. The Hoodia is not an anti-hunger that is proportional, but absolute. Reached a certain limit, snaps inhibition. Too bad that this limit is exceeded only by those who are obese, not by those who are generally overweight.
2) The limit is not, as erroneously reported by some, daily, but obviously it is for a single meal, as is physiologically understandable (the rest simulates the action of glucose). Consider a person of normal weight of 64 kg for 170 cm tall which takes 400 kcal breakfast, 200 (snack) as a snack, 1,200 kcal per room, per 200 kcal snack in the evening and 1,000 kcal 200 kcal snack before bedtime (sweetie). Total: 3,200 kcal per day, evenly distributed. Within a couple of months, the subject will increase (to fix the ideas suppose if your calorie needs of 1,900 kcal) of 6-8 kg. Our example, how many other people get fat because they eat more, not because they stuff themselves with food from 3,000 kcal (as do the obese). Moral: if the Hoodia snaps to 2,200 kcal, inhibition in our example will not trip ever and the subject will always be hungry.
The search for MacLean and Luo (September 2004, published in Brain Res 1020 (1-2) :10-11) does nothing but emphasize the difficulties of a slimming bench. In fact, in the face of intracerebroventricolari injections of P57 (the active ingredient in Hoodia) in animals there is an increase of ATP by 50-150% in hypothalamic neurons. The research concludes that the increase of ATP could be a signal for satiety based on the feeling of energy.
The research summarizes the difficulties of the counter products made of Hoodia:
1) as the active ingredient (P57) is contained in 0.5 g of dry extract of Hoodia (the contents of a capsule classic)? Nobody says.
2) The P57 comes directly in the hypothalamus? It is one thing to talk about injections intracerebroventricolari and it is one thing to talk about dietary intake.
3) The satiety is not only based on the feeling of power, but also has other causes.